Can Schools Reopen Safely?
Not without very well thought out and strictly enforced procedures. And, even with that, some schools within a district may have to remain closed. Those, for example, with older HVAC systems that are simply too expensive to upgrade.
Here’s what it will take for schools to reopen:
- Enhanced sanitation protocols
- Classrooms configured to allow socially distant seating
- Strict adherence to personal sanitation best practices: masks, frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizer
- At home symptom screening
- Cancellation of sports programs and extracurricular activities
- COVID testing for
- Individuals with symptoms
- Asymptomatic individuals with known exposure to COVID
- Immediate separation of students and staff with symptoms from the general population
- Temperature surveillance